Wednesday, March 4, 2009

That's What I've Heard

When I began Martial Arts training in 1993 I had no expectations. I simply never stopped wanting to 'try' Kung Fu after watching 'Enter The Dragon', staring Bruce Lee in 1973...so I figured the longevity of that desire was an indication that 'just' maybe I should stop procrastinating. I loved it! Everything. The moves, the friendships, the discipline, the fitness, the instructor, the mystique and even the smell of the place....my master burned candles! Not the sweat silly, though there was a lot of that.

I talked about the training whether someone wanted to listen or not. Sorry about that guys. No one was interested in trying it. No one understood why I would possibly want those bruises or be grabbed repeatedly. I can not explain. It made me happy. I had (have) fun. It made me strong both mentally and physically. I felt like I was growing as a person.

Yet, there is something that always bothers me about this journey. What I have heard often:"Why don't you just buy a gun?!" "Why do you spend so much time learning how to hurt people?" "Why do you like that?" Why do you love what you love?

I train because I love the feeling of controlling my body and being able to do things physically that other 46 (in 2 weeks) year olds can't even imagine. I train because it silences my mind more than anything I know. It gifts me a calmness I can not explain. I train because my body loves to train. Get off the couch, your body loves activity-it's your mind that is lazy! I don't know why I love my dads old guitar, I don't know why I love writing, hockey or Yorkshire Terriers, I just do. Nobody has asked me why I love those things. I think that we should do more what we love.

I don't want a gun. Eeks! I've used them. A pellet gun as a kid and other guns when I spent a summer at a military camp. I do not like that kind of power!

I teach Self-Protection because I feel it my purpose to share what I know-I've tried to avoid it many times, but it keeps coming back into my life. "I want to train," I'd say. "I want you to teach," they all said.

For the record, I have no hidden agenda. It's fun.

There are people that hurt others. Avoid them. Every bad relationship comes with a red flag. When yours goes up, don't play like you are colour blind-get out of there!

have a great night.
Remember, Be prepared, NOT paranoid.
deb

2 comments:

  1. This is a great blog! Thank you Deb! Keep it up! I will be coming back often :)
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Karen! Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete