Monday, March 23, 2009

One Step At A Time

You just never truly know what you can accomplish until you take a 'determined' first step. As much as I love all of the 'laws of attraction' that have grow quickly out of 'The Secret', without action, wishing something true may be a bit of a stretch....in most cases.

This past week I have witnessed determination. As I wrote last week, Offie was in a grave state. Out of no where he could not move. I was very close to 'give up' mode as I watched him. It was ripping my heart a part thinking 'I' had to decide his fate. On the advice of my friend Nancy, a holistic vet, I asked him what he wanted.....then I watched as he struggled to roll to his tummy, to sit, to stand, to walk and to come running off balance, towards me yesterday. I can hardly believe how he has built his strength and co-ordination back so quickly.

It turns out that he has a degenerating disc problem due to old age. Something triggered something and the bruising/inflammation caused swelling that rendered him almost motionless.

He never gave up. He pushed and is pushing himself every day to improve and regain his strength and self-control. I am running around like a frightened mommy trying to get him to be careful. I am afraid he could re injure himself prior to fulling recovering. His idea of slowing down occurs when I turn out the lights at bed time.

And what does this have to do with www.Realisticselfdefenseforwomen.com ?? Good question!
It makes me think of a woman, years ago. She attended a fundraiser I was donating my time to raise money for leukemia research. It was at the end of the night and I had a drill organized where each woman had to go down the middle of the group- all the women had pads and would be pushing.

The first woman looked at me and said she could not do it. I asked why and she said she did not think she was strong enough to fight back to protect herself. I asked her if she had children. She did. I asked if she would fight for her children. She said "Yes". I made a few more comments about her kids to spark her emotions and we watched her energy change from a women exhibiting low self-esteem to one of strength and determination.

I was at the far end of the group of, 40 plus, women and as she approached me she grew stronger and stronger through her fatigue. I held no pads to protect myself. As she turned to finish me off I stepped back and held up my hands up to surrender. One step at a time, in twenty feet, she realized that she could accomplish much more than she had thought.

Imagine if we all believed in ourselves beyond thinking, beyond knowing, beyond doubt. You see, I think Offie has accomplished what he has because he saw no obstacles, no limitations. He only knows what he can do, therefore he goes for it every step.

No comments:

Post a Comment