Monday, March 16, 2009

OFFIE

Other thoughts.
It has been difficult to concentrate on writing another RSDFW blog since my sweet Yorkie, suddenly feel ill, with what we suspect to be a stroke, this past weekend.
It brings to mind another type of awareness. The awareness to appreciate what we have. The innocence and magnificence of this little creature's life and soul will forever be remembered within my heart and spirit. I could not be more aware of his every move right now, as well as all the special moments we have shared.
He is still here, he is a fighter! Yesterday morning he struggled to move to get comfortable. After his visit to the vet we left with little hope and some very difficult decisions. I laid with him all day massaging him and telling him it was okay to go if it was his time, yet he could stay as well. He does not seem to be in any pain. I called a naturalistic vet friend in Vegas to ask her advice. She said, "Ask him, he will tell you".
So I laid down and put him on my chest. I began asking him what he wanted. "You have to tell me, show me that you want to stay. What do you want". He was still. I thought he was saying it was time to go. My eyes were wet all day. Then his other mommy came and he lifted his head. He licked her hand for half an hour as we talked about the position we were in. Out of no where he lifted himself up a little. He ate one piece of food at a time. He drank some water from a spoon. I remember my original martial arts teacher saying to me "Never say die." At least never give up until you are completely empty.
We took him back to the vet at the end of the day to have one more 'look-over'. He was a little stronger. She had to help him pee. He had a restful night and today at work he was very alert and even tried to stand and move around, but can not. It is too soon to know if that is possible. He can sort of sit up. I helped him move around a little and took him outside where he, on the 4th outing attempted and actually peed!! I was so excited. I have never hoped for a pee so much in my entire life. I will never give him trouble for peeing in the wrong spot again!!
He has made me even more aware of how much I treasure his company. We are praying for a full recovery....he will tell us what he needs, when he needs it. He's 14 years old and has had a darn good life...just months before she passed, my dear friend Becky said "I'm not afraid to die, I'm just not ready yet"...I am feeling that way about my puppy.
I would like some more time for him to share all that he has to share. Empty your cup my little grasshopper, before you begin your next journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment